HART Mechanics Tool Set Has The Tools You Need When You Need Them
HART is carving out a niche for itself with quality tools at an affordable price. We’ve been using HART Impact Sockets and we are impressed, so got our hands on the HART 275-piece mechanics tool set to see how they’re doing with other automotive-focused hand tools. At first glance, this set is pretty daunting so we’ll break it down piece by piece so you can decide if it’s the right set for you.
Hands-On With The HART 275-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Right off the bat, I noticed the three ratchets in the set have a quality look and feel. The 1/4-inch, 3/8-inch, and 1/2-inch drive sizes all have a 90-tooth design, giving you a compact 4° swing arc. Plus, the contoured head shape allows you to work in tighter spaces.
One of my favorite features is the push-button socket release on the back of the ratchet head which keeps sockets securely in place while making removal a breeze.
This kit comes with a standard set of combination wrenches. You get metric sizes ranging from 8 to 15 mm and SAE sizes from 1/4-inch to 5/8-inch.
Sockets and Accessories
The HART 275-piece mechanics tool set contains a standard variety of sockets and drivers but there are a few noteworthy inclusions that set it apart from basic kits.
This set includes a combination of metric and SAE shallow and deep sockets in both 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch drives. It includes 12-point shallow sockets for the 1/2-inch drive size.
HART went the extra mile and added SAE and metric shallow impact-rated sockets ranging in size from 3/8-inch to 1 inch and 10mm to 23mm, respectively.
Some honorable mentions in this mechanics set include a 1/4-inch magnetic bit driver, 48 driver bits, and both SAE and metric nut drivers. HART also includes a full set of SAE and metric hex keys, hex drivers, Torx drivers, and drive size adapters.
Storing The HART 275-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
You gotta have a place to store all of these tools and accessories and HART organizes them in a sturdy blow-molded tool box with no wasted space. The underside of the lid houses the deep well sockets and the top tray holds your chrome 6-point shallow sockets, some accessories. Its three removable trays hold the rest of the sockets, wrenches, and accessories and can be arranged in whatever order is most convenient for you.
Two folding side doors snap in place to keep the trays from unintentionally sliding out during transport.
In addition to these doors, we LOVE that HART chose to use metal latches instead of plastic which is more likely to break or pop off over time. Two nylon straps are riveted to the lid and keep it from over-extending and damaging the hinges.
Carrying the box is easy by using either the two side handles or its stout rubber overmolded top handle. With so many tools in the box, it’s heavy and those side handles are really helpful. Plan to use those side handles if your hands are on the bigger side to avoid your fingers getting pinched on the lid.
Hart 275-Piece Mechanics Set Complete Tool List
- 1/4-inch 90-tooth ratchet
- 6 Torx drivers: T8 – T27
- 13 metric 6-point sockets: 4mm – 14mm
- 9 metric deep 6-point sockets: 6mm – 16mm
- 11 SAE 6-point sockets: 5/32″ – 9/16″
- 7 SAE deep 6-point sockets: 1/4″ – 1/2″
- 3 in. extension
- 6 in. extension
- 3/8-inch 90-tooth ratchet
- 12 metric 6-point sockets: 8mm – 19mm
- 10 metric deep 6-point sockets: 10mm – 19mm
- 11 SAE 6-point sockets: 1/4″ – 13/16″
- 9 SAE deep 6-point sockets: 3/8″ – 7/8″
- 5 metric 6-point impact sockets: 10mm – 14mm
- 5 SAE 6-point impact sockets: 3/8″ – 5/8″
- 6 Torx drivers: T27 – T55
- 6 SAE hex drivers: 5/32″ – 3/8″
- 9 metric hex drivers: 3mm – 10mm
- 3 in. extension
- 6 in. extension
- 1/2-inch 90-tooth ratchet
- 14 metric 12-point sockets: 10mm – 24mm
- 10 SAE 12-point sockets: 7/16″ – 1″
- 6 metric 6-point impact sockets: 15mm – 23mm
- 6 SAE 6-point impact sockets: 11/16″ – 1″
- 3 in. extension
- 1/4-inch hex driver
- 9 metric nut drivers: 5mm – 12mm
- 9 SAE nut drivers: 5/32″ – 7/16″
- 48-piece driver bit set: slotted, Phillips, hex, Torx, square, and 1/4-inch socket driver
- 3/8-inch universal joint
- 10-piece metric hex key set: 1.3mm – 8mm
- 10-piece SAE hex key set: 0.05″ – 1/4″
- 8 metric combination wrenches: 8mm – 15mm
- 7 SAE combination wrenches: 1/4″ – 5/8″
- 3 3/8-inch drive SAE spark plug sockets: 5/8″, 3/4″, 13/16″
- 3/8-inch impact socket adapter
- 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch adapter
- 1/2-inch to 3/8-inch adapter
- 3/8-inch to 1/4-inch adapter
- 1/4-inch drive friction fit bit driver socket
The HART 275-Piece Mechanics Tool Set Price
The HART 275-piece mechanics tool set retails for $219 at Walmart and carries a limited lifetime warranty. For what you get, that’s a really attractive price.
The Bottom Line
Compared to other tool sets on the market, this one is remarkably comprehensive. The HART 275-piece mechanics tool set is perfect for people who need more than the basics but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg to get it. There are some additional pieces you may want to add along your journey, but this is a great place to start your tool collection.
HART 275-Piece Mechanics Tool Set Specifications
- Model: HART HHMTS405
- 275 pieces
- Drivers: 1/4 in., 3/8 in., and 1/2 in.
- SAE and Metric
- Warranty: Limited lifetime
- Price: $219